Tuesday, April 26, 2011

India for jobs anyone?

The recession is an unrelenting beast that's tearing at my current job...you know, the one waiting tables.  The other day I walked out of there with $5.  Does that tell you anything?  And even if people do come out and we're busy, I still make half of what I made four years ago as a college freshman who knew absolutely nothing about waiting tables.

I need money.  I eat maybe once a day.  I barely pay my bills.  I buy clothes and makeup because my mom lends me money.  You know me, I can't let my looks go away all together.  I'm forever exhausted, and there is never enough time to breathe, let alone sleep.

I am looking for any job that I can make a decent amount on, not $10,000 a year.  From the looks of it, a foreign correspondent in India makes more, and it sure does sound like more fun.  I want to be done with this part, but I'm not even sure if I'm graduating this semester.

In India, my discipline is growing phenomenally.  Here it's dying tragically with thousands of readers losing interest or passing away.  The future of the newspaper is in the hands of baby boomers who are retiring and even dying.  Younger people are looking elsewhere for their news.  Definitely not in places where it costs to obtain credible information.  This is depressing to me.  Knowledge is the base of our democracy...and most of us really don't want to know.  We just want to feel.  I want to go somewhere on the other side of the world.  I want to be where people are hungry for words, and even hungrier for the knowledge that feeds a democracy.  Can I become one of them?  Can I be a part of something big that is happening now?  The things that are happening here are falling on deaf ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment